Find Out Whats New With Birmingham Scouts
A morning of aquatic action is promised on Saturday 1st July with Sutton Coldfield Scouts in Sutton Park. The Scouts will be racing across Powells... We are pleased to be able to confirm this years concerts and performances. Orchestra Concerts The Orchestra will be playing on the Friday 4 and Sat... One of Sutton Coldfield`s unsung heroes, Des Christie, is supporting Sutton Coldfield Scouts from East District at Villa Park on Father`s Day this... Our friends at Blackwell Adventure want to actively promote the centre and activities to Birmingham Scouts and are offering one night free camping ...
Introduction To Scouts
Scouts are the third section of the Scouting movement. From the first experimental camp for 20 boys in 1907, the movement now has an estimated 28 million members worldwide, and in the UK alone there are over 499,000 boys and girls involved in Scouting. An increase in adult volunteers means that more and more young people are now able to take part in their own big adventure.
What is the age range for Scouts?
The core age range for the Scout Section is from 10.5-14 and the Scout Section programme is designed to be delivered to this age group.
There are a whole range of interesting and exciting activities and programmes that are running in the Scout Troops, Groups, Districts and County. Here you will find activities that are available to Scouts in the County.
The County Scout annual events include:
County Air Rifle Shooting Competition*
County Bivouac Survival Skills Badge Weekend
County BrumVenture Activity Badge Weekend
County Football Competition*
County iceSCOUT Winter Camp
* – Local District competitions are run to determine who or which teams represent the District at a County Level. Please contact your District’s ADC (Scouts) or District Scout Leader for more details.
In addition to the above there are Adventurous Activities such as Kayaking, Mountaineering and Climbing/Abseiling. For more information please check out the ACC(Activities) webpage.
All of our activities are based on the principle that we need to provide activities that develop young people and offer excitement but not danger, adventure but not hazard.
Scouts Section Team
It is the role of the ADC(Scouts), County Scout Leaders and ACC(Scouts) as a team to support the Districts in the delivery of premium activities and programmes within the County and promote Scouting to the community.
Our aim is to encourage participation in and provide a balance of activities, such as:
- Specialist (e.g. Bivouac, BrumVenture & Kandersteg)
- Best in Class/Team Competition (e.g. Football, Archery, Air Rifles)
- Open to all/joining in (e.g. iceSCOUT Camp)
Our objectives are to ensure these activities are:
- Run in accordance with the rules laid down in Policy, Organisation and Rules
- Run to high standards, well planned with early announcement
- Good discipline and high standards should be expected from both adults and young people. Scouts and Leaders should be proud to take part and most importantly everybody should have fun
- All activities should be ‘on brand’ and relevant to the section core age range
- The future leaders are the young people now (Taking the Lead)
- Improving transfer between sections (Breaking down Barriers). Specifically between Scouts and Explorer Scouts
- Increase the number and role of young people in decision making
If you’d like to get involved with Scouts in your area, follow the link below
County | Amelia Connolly (ACC Scouts – Interim)
County | Jill Bowman, Kris Hennigan, Dale Reynolds, Oliver Reynolds (County Scout Leaders)
Sutton Coldfield East | Adam Hodson (ADC Scouts) & Brian Stacey (District Scout Leader)
Sutton Coldfield West | Richard Drew (ADC Scouts)
Tame Valley | Position Vacant
Rea Valley | Steve Prescott (ADC Scouts), Louise Prescott ( District Scout Leader)
Cole Valley South | Graham Tanner (ADC Scouts)
Spitfire | Sam Taylor (ADC Scouts), Alex Harverson ( District Scout Leader)
Amelia Connolly– ACC (Scouts) Interim
Follow the links below to see images from our previous Scouts activities